We had a wonderful time at Sandusky Yacht Club!
- This was the 20th year anniversary of the Great Lakes Marinette Rendezvous. SYC was amazing! We had so many wonderful comments about how nice of a location this was. It was also nice for people to go and see what downtown Sandusky has to offer, since it is in walking distance from SYC.
- Ray Konko had printed out pictures for everyone to see of the first Great Lakes Marinette Rendezvous, which took place at Cedar Point Marina in 1998. They had pictures to share with everyone from 1998-2004 rendezvous. Thanks, Ray and P/P Karen for sharing!!!
- Boats were spread out a little due to dockage availability at the Yacht Club, bunched in groups of 2 and 3. This didn’t seem to bother anyone too much. It was much better than the alternative (rafting), and several people said so.
- Friday night cocktail party went well. We were allowed to use a small picnic area and there was a decent food spread.
- Saturday morning we had the breakfast and Business meeting inside the Yacht Club instead of outside at the pavilion due to the extreme heat. This worked well for both us and for SYC who handled the food set-up.
- Breakfast was a little thin. It was a continental with fruit and pastries. We elected to go that route in an attempt to keep costs down. After seeing it, I realized it was a mistake. There were several comments, all of which were 100% correct in that it could have been more to it. Next year we will have a more substantial breakfast with eggs, meat and potatoes.
- Meeting went well. Introduced Dave Dunn, Manager of SYC, and he welcomed everyone. Presented a club burgee to SYC to hang with their other burgees. Nancy delivered an excellent Treasurer’s report and Membership report. Next year, we should have handouts at the meeting for all to review at the time / Q&A etc. Meeting was over around 9:45 or so. Nice to get the business stuff out of the way and on to fun stuff the rest of the day. Several people commented to that effect as well.
- I thought splitting the basket raffle ticket selling / drawing up would be a problem but it didn’t seem to be. Thanks to Becky, Pat and Kathy for selling tickets.
- The land Poker Run was a hit in spite of the extreme heat. Most people participated. This gave everyone a chance to go downtown Sandusky for lunch and to have a drink or two. This also gave Julie and I a chance to go and pick up the cakes and do a couple of errands while it was going on.
- The Tech Talk was not as well advertised as it could have been. Still, there were about 15 people in attendance. Some people indicated they really enjoyed it. Good to split up the meeting and the Tech Talk. Those who weren’t interested in the Tech Talk generally went to the pool, a good idea on a hot day.
- Tour the fleet wasn’t as heavily attended as it used to be, but I suspect that was because it was so hot that day. Still, most boats were open and I visited as many as I could. We had many visitors to our boat.
- Cocktail party started at 6PM. Cash bar went well. The appetizers were a little thin and were well picked over by the end. Need to have more substantial appetizers next year.
- Dinner went well. Attendance for dinner was 63. We were a little cramped in the side room, but we made it work. The food was excellent, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
- Having the cake table at the other end of the room as the cake serving area didn’t work well (minor logistical issue), but it sure was yummy!
- Baskets and 50/50 drawings went smoothly. Poker run winner was also announced. SYC was generous enough to provide the winner with dockage for 2 nights and Sunday brunch for 4 people!!!
- Clothing sales went well. The Paypal (credit card payments) went pretty well but it would be nice to process the transaction immediately. Need to look into Square next year or see if Paypal can do real time payments. Definitely need to expand the use of taking credit cards for all GLMC payments and dues etc.
- Breakfast Sunday was continental. Everyone seemed okay with a lighter breakfast on Sunday, according to the survey results.
- Normally people eat and run, but everyone took their time leaving that wonderful location!
- Boats in attendance:
- 41′ – 4
- 39′ – 2
- 37′ – 2
- 32′ – 8
- 28 – 3
- Total: 19
Thanks to Phil and Kathy Benco, Julie Purnell, Nancy Plosker, Leslie Tighe, Pat Colvin, and Becky Aumiller for their hard work to make this happen.
Great Lakes Marinette Club